Saturday, February 20, 2010

Paleo Diet

I've really been loving the Paleo diet.  I've been re-inspired to try new meats and vegetables and eat fresher, not processed foods.  I feel more satisfied after meals, not like I want to keep eating even though I'm full.  I stay fuller longer, don't need a snack every 3 hours.  Don't feel weak like my blood sugar is low in the afternoons.  Since I stopped eating excess sugar and artificial sweetener, I notice the flavor and natural sweetness more in things like pumpkin, red peppers, coconut milk.  I still have a sweet tooth, but now its easily satisfied with some fruit, or occasionally some very dark chocolate.  I can't wait to get back to the States to have natural food stores and... and... farmer's markets!!!

And on the exercise side, its freeing to no longer feel like I need to run 15-30 miles a week, and do at least an hour walk with Koree on the off days.  Seriously, I'm super thin already, why was I so scared that if I stopped that I'd balloon?  Possibly because of my compulsive eating binges, which I have not even been tempted to have lately.  And I've realized that whole-body fitness is important... even exercising my puny weak arms.  But I don't need to spend hours at the gyms!  Chris and I did a workout this morning at home.  First we tried to figure out the CrossFit squat from youtube videos.  I'm surprisingly good at them already, probably because of my obsessive running the past year and a half.  But then we did push ups.  Using all my strength, I pumped out 21, and then a little later 17 more.  Needs work.  But I feel empowered.

For lunch today I made Mark's Daily Apple's Avocado-Coconut smoothie.  Interesting.  Not bad.  Last night I made mini frittatas and thick spicy soup:
garlic and a serano pepper sauted in some oil
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can pumpkin
about 3 cups chicken stock
(before paleo I added a can of black beans and some frozen corn here, this time I added half a box of frozen spinach instead)
salt, pepper, and cumin

Today I'm trying almond butter and pesto.


No comments:

Post a Comment